Welcome to Skyler and Monique's Blog!

CIMG0968

Saturday, December 24, 2005

To the Beach!


What a morning. We headed to Shell Beach, well Pismo beach, but not the tourist Pismo beach. It use to be called Shell Beach, but for some reason, they changed it to Pismo Beach. Anyway.... We took a trip to the beach this morning. Really pretty out early in the morning. Around 9:30am we got there. I walked around, took some pictures, and read 90 pages from Harry Potter. It wsa sure a sunny morning. Bright to really really bright.

This afternoon, we had lunch back at the house, then to San Luis Opisbo. Stopping at the Costco there, we felt right at home. Man, the Costco down here is identical to the one in Rhonert Park to a dime. My brother and I both were freaked out. I showed my bro what I wanted for Christmas from him, and we'll see if its anything close tomorrow. I'd be excited if it is... Then we were downtown walking around. Checking out the surf shops and small stores, it was real fun. I learned something really interesting about the surf industry today. Apparently, the foam company that makes 90% of the foam bodies for surf boards in the world went out of bussiness. So, foam surf boards right now are not being made. Its so crazy. I wish Alec or Trevor would leave a comment to explain it better, but I guess it is very serious. Back to downtown SLO, Trevor and I walked around for a long time, checking out Abercrobie and some sports shops. Saw a lot, but nothing worth buying the day before Christmas.

Right now I'm sitting in a group of my relatives as they talk about what a blog is, what winipedia, and such. I got to go so they can read my blog. Later all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Clarke Foam Co. in California went out of business a couple of weeks ago and now the "small local shaper" does not have access to any surfboard blanks... This has caused the Asian companies that make boards to increase their production...(see the article that follows)

"The influx of imported boards marks a turning point for California's surfboard-shaping industry, which Clark Foam of Laguna Niguel, Calif., supplied for 44 years. Gordon (Grubby) Clark unexpectedly shut his business early this month, saying he was worried about environmental lawsuits.

The shift to mass-produced boards is disrupting a California surf shop culture that esteems master shapers such as Hermosa Beach's Phil Becker, who says his staff has hand-made more than 100,000 surfboards. Each is crafted to the thickness and shape the customer requests for manuverability, then layered with resin and fibreglass for strength, and topped off with a custom paint job.

As surfboard makers deplete their reserves of Clark's foam blocks, some shapers' jobs are at risk, and board prices are rising".

Yeah, we went to a SURF SHOP in San Luis obispo and the had just raised the price of the boards they had in stock by $200.00 each. OUCH ! and it seems Trevor needs a new board soon :(